Thursday, February 7, 2008

Idiot

I don't want this to come across as boasting, I want to explain how stupid I can be. I'm 28 and don't have any useful qualifications. I have a grand job title and am likely to take home £sixty grand this year, doing a remarkable facsimilie of what I'd be doing for free anyway. I guess you could say I'm the expert knowledge - knowledge for the marketing department of an online poker company. Marketing people typically don't spend their week nights playing a thousand hands of online poker, or posting on 2 + 2, or reading a poker website: Fortunately for their karma, I do it for them.

Sounds good? Sounds fun? Sounds like the kind of thing you can tell a girl at a bar? Except for the bit about 2 + 2, obviously? Well, I quit last week.

I quit last week but don't have a job go to. I quit last week and am going to sit at home at my computer all the time. I quit last week and I'm going to spend the next few months playing online poker.

The thing is, to play poker for a living, you need to have a lot of money online - say, $15k. You need to know you can beat the games for a good amount - perhaps $100 per hour, at the least. You need to have a long track record of doing just that. And most importantly, you need to be sure you can play it through thick and thin, through the agonising grind, through the sometimes endless stretches of pure frustration.

And I dunno if I can do much of that anymore. So I'm going to write a blog to tell you how it's going. As Tommy Angelo says, "It is not possible to find out if you have what it takes to make your living playing poker, except by quitting your job"

No comments: